John said in I John 4:7-8
“Beloved, let us love one another, for love is from GOD; and everyone who loves is born of GOD and knows GOD. The one who does not love does not know GOD, for GOD is love.
Love in both of these verses is agape…the GOD kind of love or divine love. Agape love is both a noun (person, place or thing) and also a verb (action). GOD is love and HE loves.
This GOD who is love lives, through the HOLY SPIRIT, in each one of us who has received JESUS as his/her Savior. So, we could say it this way… LOVE, who is GOD, lives in me.
As a reminder to all of us, below are the attributes of agape love…attributes of our GOD who is LOVE from I Corinthians 13:4-8 in the Amplified Bible. This is the love that is resident in our re-born spirit…how awesome is that!…we can agape because we can do all things through CHRIST Who strengthens us. Amen? Amen!!
Make these attributes a confession; i.e., ‘Because GOD Who is agape love lives in me, I can and will endure long and be patient and kind; I am every ready to believe the best of every person’, etc. ‘Because GOD Who is agape love lives in me, I am not envious; I am not touchy, fretful, and resentful’, etc.
- Agape endures long and is patient and kind
- Agape rejoices when right and truth prevail
- Agape bears up under anything and everything that comes
- Agape is every ready to believe the best of every person
- Agape’s hopes are fadeless under all circumstances
- Agape endures everything (without weakening)
- Agape is never envious nor boils over with jealousy
- Agape is not boastful or vainglorious…it does not display itself haughtily
- Agape is not conceited – arrogant and inflated with pride
- Agape is not rude (unmannerly) and does not act unbecomingly
- Agape does not insist on its own rights or its own way, for it is not self-seeking
- Agape is not touchy, fretful, or resentful
- Agape takes no account of the evil done to it – pays no attention to a suffered wrong
- Agape does not rejoice at injustice or unrighteousness
I am including two sentences from a consecration prayer John Eldredge prays daily and included in his book, Moving Mountains (page 119). These words are very apropos to this week’s prayer initiative ~
“I also bring the full work of JESUS CHRIST between me and every person and I allow only the love of GOD and only the SPIRIT of GOD between us.” (Bold mine)
This prayer is often part of the daily prayer coverage I give myself so I’m covered whether I’m with believers or gentiles. When I’m with members of the BODY of CHRIST, it reminds me that the same HOLY SPIRIT that lives in me also lives in my brother or sister in The LORD. And, the HOLY SPIRIT will absolutely not be in contention with HIMSELF.
JESUS IS LORD and KING today…and forever! Hallelujah!